Sunday, February 10, 2019

2019 reading challenge week 6

For week 6 I read a book that was published the year I graduated high school, which for me was 2013.

I read "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell (synopsis).


Image result for fangirl by rainbow rowell
Rating: 8/10

     First of all, as someone who identifies as a fangirl herself, I have never felt so called out in my life. I know we seem a little crazy, but that fact that we swoon over characters and their relationships with other characters was not too far from the truth. Frankly, this novel was pretty spot on when it comes to explaining the private lives of fangirls (although I don't think I would ever hand in a fanfiction as an assignment for a creative writing class).
     My only complaint about the novel was that it was turned into a cinderella-esque love story. It was all pretty cliche. The normal, jock type guy falls in love with the anxious, nerdy girl. I would have been totally fine with them just having their friendship and this being a story about accepting others as well as yourself, but this had to turn into a love story. Not that it wasn't done well, it just seemed a little unrealistic.
     But this was a very good book and would recommend it to every fangirl, or someone who has a fangirl in their life.

Next week I'll be reading "Be my valentine, Charlie Brown" by Charles Schultz.

No comments:

Post a Comment