Sunday, January 20, 2019

2019 Reading Challenge Week 3

For the 3rd week of the challenge I chose to read the graphic novel.

I read "Ibitsu" by Haruto Ryo.




















Rating: 4/10
     This is a horror manga based on a Japanese urban legend. Now, I like horror, but I'm not a fan of gore, especially overboard gore. The basic premise of the story is about a young man who happens upon a girl dressed in gothic lolita garb in a garbage dump, and she asks if he would have a little sister. Not understanding the question, he says yes, as he already had a sister.
     I don't want to get too spoiler-y, but the boy and his friend look up the legend after a few strange events happen, and they found out that she asks her question, and if you say no, she kills you. But, if you say yes, she stalks you and then ends up killing you. According to several other instances that happened around Japan (in the story) all of the affected victims ended up committing suicide.
     This is a slow story at first, and starts out with the psychological horror, but gets gorier and gorier as it goes on. I'm not about that. It was a bit hard to read at some points because of that. I wouldn't recommend this story if you don't like gore. That's actually one of the main problems I had with this story, is that it relies on gore to be scary. As a horror fan, this was not an enjoyable story, but if you like gore, you might like it.

Next week I will be reading "First We Make the Beast Beautiful" by Sarah Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment